Renee Tucci, who provided the program at the Feb 5 Monthly Membership Meeting, shared tips galore during her fabulous floral demonstration. Tucci explained that she was eating, drinking and sleeping “The Wonders of Water” theme of the upcoming Philadelphia Flower Show. She is on the staff of the award winning company that creates the show’s entry and settings for the Pennsylvania Horticulture Society who puts on the show, which starts March 3.
Here are some pointers shared by Tucci:
- Ice is a wonderful way to present flowers when entertaining.
- Use muffin tins rather than ice cube trays for floral ice cubes.
- Floral ice bowls make dramatic decor.
- Flowers submerged in water are magnified and vibrant
- Bring back those retired frogs to hold flowers under water
- On-trend flowers include blue thistle and cactus
- Cut spine off a leaf to make it more pliable in arrangements
- Lily Grass is great to slit and loop around
- Bear grass will dry into an interesting curly cue
- Use oasis tabs to roll a leaf and keep in place
- Easiest way to alter foliage is by cutting it different ways
- Calla lilies don’t need water for days. Skim stem to make pliable.
- Use sea shells in arrangements as a homage to being seaside.
- Visit Mayesh Design Star on You-Tube for how-to videos
- Push a pipe cleaner into a daffodil stem to use in arrangements
- Quick Dip helps cut flowers last longer