Just when we thought we had packed away all things Cinderella, who should appear at the April 3 Membership Meeting but “Miss Ella” herself, complete with her ball gown and signature “Disney do.” Actually, it was Donna McGinnis, the new Naples Botanical Garden President, who was channeling Cinderella one last time to receive the check for our 2017 grant to the Garden.
Eight other organizations, listed below, also received checks at the meeting. Sandy Lasch, NGC President, made the check presentations. She noted that NGC “is pleased to support the efforts of these diverse organizations. The projects we fund support our mission to foster understanding and appreciation of horticulture, design and the environment.” In addition to the grants, the club also funds several scholarships and internships. This year’s Grants Committee was headed by Lydia Galton with Arlene Cluff, Joyce Fletcher, Linda LaRue Brown, Sandy Lasch and Ann Westerfield rounding out the committee.
- Collier Senior Resources: $1,300 for courtyard garden & NBG field trips
- Friends of Fakahatchee: $13,000 for a chickee hut outdoor classroom
- Grace Place: $5500 to create a garden with reading area
- Habitat for Humanity: $5,000 for signage and landscaping in 2 neighborhoods
- JFCS: $4,500 for ‘eating healthy’ garden and field trip program
- Naples Botanical Garden: $15,000 to conserve rare and historically significant plants
- Naples Zoo: $10,000 helps underwrite a national zoo horticulturist conference in Naples
- Providence House: $8,000 to fund a gardening program for abuse victims